Recently Coach Taylor has been working on his culinary skills (more to come in future posts and new recipes!).
2 cups Maseca Corn Flour
1.5 cups of Water
Limes 2-3 (FYI you’re going to be zesting them)
1/2 tsp of Salt
1/2 tsp pepper
small ziploc bag cut on the sides
thick large tea/dish towel
corn tortilla press or rolling pin
cast iron pan or non-stick pan
- Put 2 cups of flour in a bowl, mix in your salt, pepper and the zest from 2 limes
- Make a hole in the middle of the dry ingreidents so you can pour in your water
- Mix then knead together with your hands for about 1-2 minutes *the consistency should be like play dough
- Slice the sides off of a small ziploc bag so you can fold the ziploc over your ball or flour while using your tortilla press (check out the pic).
- Role the mixture into small balls so they are about the size of a large timbit (#canadian reference) or a ping/beer pong ball
- Place the ball in your ziploc situated on your press and lightly squeeze your press. The ziploc trick makes it easy to then open the bag and peel off the shell.
***If you don’t have a press, don’t panic! You can also roll them with a rolling pin. They should turn out to be the size of the third picture below for a reference point.
- Spray a non-stick pan (ideally cast iron) then cook each tortilla for about 20-30seconds per side. You will know when to flip them when the edges start to peel up and you will also see small dark brown spots on the taco shells
- Place them in a large tea towel and they will continue to steam until they are ready for you to eat (let them sit for about 10-15minutes as you prep your filling)
Coach Taylor purchased this press on Amazon here is the link: Cast Iron Tortilla Press